Plasma Center Nurse - LPN or RN
Company: BioLife Plasma Services
Posted on: March 19, 2020
About BioLife Plasma Services
Every day at BioLife, we feel good knowing that what we do helps
improve the lives of patients with rare diseases. While you focus
on our donors, we ll support you. We offer a purpose you can
believe in, a team you can count on, opportunities for career
growth, and a comprehensive benefits program, all in a fast-paced,
BioLife Plasma Services is a subsidiary of Takeda Pharmaceutical
The Medical Support Specialist determines donor eligibility to
donate plasma, management of donor adverse events, review of
laboratory test results, donor notification of unsuitable test
results. The Medical Support Specialist works under the direct
supervision of the Center Manager (or Assistant Manager as
applicable) for operational guidance and under the supervision of
the Center Physician for medical issues. Ideally, the Medical
Support Specialist will be familiar with regulations of the plasma
collection industry and/or a manufacturing environment. The Medical
Support Specialist follows guidance provided by BioLife Medical
Affairs and provides center level support of environmental, health
and safety (EHS).
- Donor Eligibility (85%)
- Determine donor eligibility accurately and in a timely manner,
to include, proper management of informed consent, AIDS education
and confidential self-exclusion, medical history interview and
acceptance requirements, physical examination, blood testing, and
reviewing Serological Protein Electrophoresis (SPE) as
- Evaluate and manage donor reaction(s), which occurs at the
facility as outlined in the SOPs. Follow applicable SOPs for
medical emergencies including the execution of Center Physician s
standing orders and donor transport to emergency care
- Manage donor deferral; reviews test results and notify donors
of unsuitable test results per applicable SOPs.
- Initiation and investigation of Post Donation Information
- Refer to the Center Physician or Medical Affairs (as
applicable) when in need of providing unacceptable findings to
donors, problem solving, or guidance concerning medical or
technical issues, including donor safety and eligibility.
- Demonstrate continued competency in the performance of job
responsibilities and complete periodic assessment with the Center
Physician per applicable SOPs.
- Assist the EHS program as required per SOPs or as requested by
the EHS Manager (5%)
- Conduct pre-placement evaluation of new hires to include
assessment of medical history questionnaire.
- Support the Hepatitis B and Seasonal Flu vaccination programs
for employees as applicable.
- Maintain applicable employee medical records.
- Member of EHS site committee and assist in training of
employees, as required.
- Manage employee incidents and determine whether further
evaluation is required by occupational health/ER. Refer to EHS
guidance regarding employee incidents.
- Administer first aid to employees as needed.
- Act as Pandemic Coordinator when authorized by EHS.
- Supports investigations associated with pandemic threats within
local community as indicated by EHS or Medical Affairs.
- May perform all required duties in the area of Medical History
(including, but not limited to): (10%)
- Greet donors as they enter and exit the donor floor.
- Take and record donor pulse, blood pressure, and temperature
measures and monitor electronic donor questionnaire system.
- Perform finger stick, test sample, and record other donor
measures to include hematocrit, total protein and weight. Enter
donor information into the Donor Information System (DIS).
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Currently licensed or certified in the state where duties will
be assigned: Registered Nurse (RN), Nurse Practitioner (NP),
Physician Assistant (PA).
- Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and AED
- Fulfillment of state requirements (in state of licensure) for
basic IV therapy
- Able to satisfactorily complete the FDA approved training
requirements for BioLife Medical Support Specialist
- Minimum of two years in a clinical or hospital setting
- Effective communication skills
- Customer service oriented
- Basic computer skills
- Willingness to work with other Center Medical Team members to
ensure coverage of all operating hoursLeadership
- Putting the patient at the center
- Building trust with society
- Reinforcing our reputation
- Developing the business
- Effective coaching and counseling skills.Decision-making and
- Routinely makes decisions determining donor eligibility.
- Seeks guidance from Center Physician and Center Management
(including Quality) for medium to high im- pact decisions and
- Regularly advises and consults with donors/customers
- Coordinates with Center Management team and Quality to ensure
successful operation standards are met (Internal)Interaction
- Responsible for providing exceptional customer service to
donors (external) and fellow employees (internal)
- Attend staff meetings and other team meetings as required.
- Ability to multi-task and work as a team player.
- Attention to detail and ability to work independently
- Effective coaching and counseling skills.Innovation
- Coordinates will all other center roles to effectively problem
solve, ensure safety of staff and donors, and provide an
exceptional customer experience.
- Supports the center management team in identifying operational
opportunities for continuous improvement, initiating changes to
center processes as needed, through use of company approved
procedures (including but not limited to 5S, Value Stream Mapping
- Maintain general cleanliness of work area and assist other work
areas as needed to ensure a clean and professional
- Willingness to travel preferred. (less than 10%) EDUCATION,
BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
Essential: Bachelor s Degree, or equivalent graduate of a
recognized educational nursing program.
Desired: Minimum of two years in a clinical or hospital setting
- FLSA Classification (US) - Non-Exempt
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned. Notice to
Employment / Recruitment Agents:
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for
vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda s Talent Acquisition
department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted
to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency
Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a
fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully
executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment
agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if
the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates
submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a
fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be
deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is an Equal Opportunity
Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Shire, a wholly-owned
subsidiary of Takeda, will not discriminate against any worker or
job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender,
national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital or
civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job
related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran
status, military service, application for military service, or
membership in any other category protected under law.
EEO is the Law -
EEO is the Law Supplement -
Pay Transparency Policy -
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is committed to working
with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with
disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you
need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application
process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a
position, please call 484-###-#### and let us know the nature of
your request and your contact information.
Associated topics: anesthetist crna, care nurse, certified nursing,
clinical nurse, family, fnp, gyn, practitioner, rnp,
Keywords: BioLife Plasma Services, Bolingbrook , Plasma Center Nurse - LPN or RN, Healthcare , Bolingbrook, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!