Sr. Tool Maker Position Summary:
Reporting to the Advanced tooling lead, this position will be
responsible for tooling and mechanical parts machining by operating
various conventional and CNC tooling workshop machinery.
The primary objective of the tooling technician is to build
molding tool assemblies based on technical drawings. Efficient
machines operation and jobs planning skills is required.
Moreover, under limited supervision, performs a variety of
operations to construct, repair or clean machine shop tools,
gauges, fixtures, jigs or tool components for use. Assignments
performed require the use of ordinary tool room operations and may
involve work involving accurate relationships and extremely close
- Build tooling assemblies to drawing specifications using CNC &
conventional workshop machines, hand tools and power tools
- Participate in new tool designs and build-up and ensure tools
are delivered to product specifications and best practices within
timelines serving both molding plant and NPD requirements.
- Participate in tooling design ideas and concepts. Provide
opinion on tool build strategies and tool manufacturability
- Problem solve collaboratively with supervisors & project owners
when tools are not functioning as designed/built.
- Maintain an organized & lean workspace
- Use a variety of hand tools and handling equipment (ex: an
overhead crane) to manipulate and assemble tools.
- Clean metal inserts and ensure tools are turned over to press
operators in excellent operating condition
- Proactively suggest ideas for improvement related to molding,
fixtures and components machining and cost saving.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints for new Tooling
designs as per plant or project specifications properly.
- Sharing designs and machining suggestions with the team and
implementing any relevant feedback in the new designs.
- Developing prototypes and testing new designs.
- The capability to carry out measurement and quality assurance
inspections on new & existing tools.
- Log and track machining job details of all specifications for
existing and new molding tooling and machine related parts and
- Participate in executing a tooling maintenance scheduling and
tracking system that is visual, accurate, and adequate to meet
quality & manufacturing needs.
- Handle predictive and preventive tooling workshop machinery
needs to ensure maintenance and upgrades needs are performed on
- Maintain safety operation and consider safety initiatives
/improvements as needed.
- Assist in training new employees
- Perform other duties as assigned
Computer skills: Machinery CAD/CAM software (Fanuc CNC
interface, Creo, Powermill, Mastercam preferred), MS Word/Excel,
- Good verbal and written communication and presentation skills
and ability to prepare clear, informative and logical reports as
- Ability to communicate effectively technical issues in either a
written and or verbal context to a technical and or non-technical
- Preferable to have a technical institute degree in
- Required at least 5 years of related experience in tool
building and operating workshop various machinery (CNC and
Physical Demands / Working Conditions:
- Operating machinery on shopfloor during working hours.
- General Office Environment, PC use
- Light Lifting (occasional 25 lbs or less)
G&W Electric is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All employees and applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender,
national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender
identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification
protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor